Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2004/02/18

Reaction to vaccs?

We took our two dogs - a lab and a boerboel - for their vaccinations on friday. They are 1.4 years and 1.6 years respectively. Before we took them they were fine - after the vaccs (on Sun, Mon and Tues) they werent looking so hot. They were both off their food and the lab especially looked weak (trouble getting up from a lying position). They have both since recovered some of their appetite and their noses are wet and they seem to be doing better. Was this a reaction to the distemper shots?

Reactions to vaccinations these days are extremely uncommon but not impossible. For two dogs to react simultaneously will be even more uncommon but again not impossible. If they are not back to normal, please discuss it with your vet, remember they are still as susceptible to other diseases such as the fever.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Jacqui | 2004/02/19

to answer my own question....

I took both dogs back to the vet yesterday and he confirmed they both have bilary. It was just weird that both became unwell after the shots. Anyway - I'm thankful that they should be ok now after treatment.

Reply to Jacqui