Question
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/10/20

Reaction to situations

Hi CS,

I was just wondering...lately, when something upsets me, I start feeling incredibly dizzy and nauseous. Not to mention the incredibly increased heart rate, and the tendency to burst into tears (I've always been reduced to tears quite easily though). It's just the dizzyness and nausea that's new? Do you know why this happens?

Sounds like a variation among the typical responses to anxiety / stress , even mild panic --- one's breathing can change, becoming more rapid and shallow, which causes chemical changes in the blood, making us more dizzy and potentially even more nauseated ( as anxiety makes our stomach churn ). Anxiety pumps up our heart rate, so we're aware of a more racing pulse, maybe even of a faster heart beat. Muscles can get trembly, or in some areas go into spasm or cramp, causing various pains. And we're more emotionally vulnerable at such times, hence the tears, as we feel a bit overwhelmed by it all. Often, making an opportunity to step away politely from the situation that's upsetting you, and taking a little time in private just to deliberately relax, breathing calmly and clowly, sitting down, relaxing one's muscles, etc., can help a lot.

And that makes a whole bunch of us who are definitely not pregnant .... :}

4
Posted by: K | 2004/10/20

I find I get the most excruciating pain up my spianl cord where I literally stop breathing and seem to go into spasm - this only happens when I am in a situation I feel I cannot control - could that also be anxiety?

Reply to K
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/20

It could be panic and or anxiety. When something upsets me a hellova lot, it feels like I cannot breathe and my heart rate also increases. And Im definately not pregnant either ; )

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/10/20

No offense taken, Shaun. No, there's absolutely no chance of me being pregnant.

Reply to Mindful
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/20

Hey M,

Might you not be pregnant??? (Just kidding...)

Sorry, no harm intended.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun