Question
Posted by: bouncer | 2004/11/05

reacted on instinct

was she wrong in beating the devil out of this pig?
I'm not going into detail - some guy lured a teenage girl, forced alcohol down her throat, with the reason being obvious. She managed to get away, taking every detail of his features.
We went out to look for the guy, and on finding him, my friend and the girls father beat the hell out of him.
My friend acted on motherly instict, coz she thought what if it was her child - well if it was her child, I'm sure she would have killed the guy. the guy opend a case of assault against them. I'm not going into detail there as well.
Do you think she was right in doing what she did, or should she have gone to the police instead?
If she had gone to the police would they have gone out to look for this guy as soon as a docket was opened, or would they have said there were no vehicles to fo out (like they usually do in our part of the world).
Would the case ever have gone to court?
I feel she was just so emotional (We had to drag her away, she was hysterical). I think I would also have had the same reaction.

Well, what they did was entirely understandable, which is not the same as saying it is right. Going to the police and laying charges against him ( which will now be less convincing when they lay them as counter-charges ) would have had a better chance of seeing him lastingly punished and making it harder for him to try it next wek with some other girl. The guy needs to think carefully about proceding with charges against them, as presumably their defence will be (a) justification, in seeking to prevent him from completing his plans, and extreme emotional reaction to the attempted rape, which will make sure his actions will be widely publicised, to his detiment.
And if you ( and whoever"we" is ) are bouncers at the place, couldn't they have asked you to catch and restrain him, in a citizen's arrest, while calling the policeand laying charges against him ?