Question
Posted by: Carol | 2006/07/17

Re.2027 - Doc, more information

Doc, thank you for replying to my earlier post.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is soluble and what is insoluble fibre? Am I reading correctly that too much fibre can cause me to feel and look bloated. I also feel that I'm retaining water as my ankles tend to look puffy.

Hi Carol
Soluble fibre is fibre that can dissolve in water like in "Fibre clear", oatbran, pectin in fruit
Insoluble fibre is the hard particles you see in whole wheat bread, hi bulk bran, lettuce, beans - the coarse undigestible parts. This tends to irritate the bowel.
If your ankles are puffy and you can press a little hollow in the skin that takes a few seconds to return to normal, you should let your doctor check your urine and kidney function as you may be losing protein through your urine.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2006/07/17

Good sources of water soluble fibre are apples, citrus fruit, strawberries, carrots, oats, barley and legumes.

Good sources of water insoluble fibre are vegetables, bran, whole grains and fruits with edible seeds such as guavas.

Don't worry I didn't know either! I have recently been diagnosed with IBS and have a booklet on it, this is how I now know!

Reply to anxious