Posted by: Lisa | 2008/08/12

Re: Vitamin A

Im a bit worried now that Im not supposed to be taking so much Vit A. Why did the doctor then prescibe me 50000 IU a day? I asked the pharmacist if I can take 5 capsules that each contain 10000 IU and she also said it was fine? Reading that article about toxicity and bone defects etc is very worrying. I havent started taking the Vit A yet. 1 capsule is going to be 10000 IU already! What should I do??

Hi Lisa
Short term it probably would be fine but you should not take this long term. The guidelines also changed in 2001 - previously they did give higher dosages. I would advise you to take the 10 000 IU for a week or so to top up any deficiencies you may have and then reduce the dosage to 2000 IU per day.