Question
Posted by: Anon2 | 2007/11/29

RE: Therapy

Dear CS
Thanks for the reply. I will persevere with the CBT. For the first time in a long while I believe I actually might be able to stop taking meds for the rest of my life. I’ve tried to stop the meds a couple of times on my own with disastrous effects. It has always troubled me that I’m probably taking meds that might actually be harming me. I’m taking a very high dose of a mood stabiliser, as well as an antidepressant and antipsychotic. I think I’ve become addicted to the meds. The sooner I stop the better.

Just remember that part of a Bipolar Disorder is a potentially stubborn chemical imbalance that may go out of balance due to chemical influences beyond your control, and these may be best dealt with by using mood-stabilizing chemicals. But the difference now may be that you can by recognizing early stages of a mood swing, use the drugs to keep you in control rather than letting the chemistry take over. Fortunately, one does not get addicted to mood stabilizers or antipsychotics --- its a bit like diabetes. A wise diabetic learns to control his diet and blood sugar levels, and uses insulin or other meds to achieve this --- he is never addicted to insulin, but may still need to use it long-term.