Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/11/05

Re : the elderly

Thanks cs and Bee ...

The thing is of course I so miss my hubby and Stephen ... our tiny family of 4 are so close my two kids adore their stepfather and in my home their is always laughing , joking and fooling around , i realised with horror today that I havent laughed in 2 weeks , my daughters best friend is a coloured girl and my sons best friend is black ... now I havent noticed "colour" in about 15 years .. "pops " is still strictly old school and hates all colours unless they are white , and as i pointed out to him today I have the least problems with the black , coloured and indian friends my kids have had cos they have better manners.

I have always had a real problem as it is with people and their "colour" issues .... life is realy too short to get my knickers in a knot , and if i want to stand and chat to an african selling his art on the side of the road I will flippen well do so !!!

My son suggested I get a budgie , good plan I can teach it to say "shut up you miserable old sod"

He asked me today why I ignore him when he speaks ... " I said /.......... dad when you have something good to say about someone , or something ill listen .

Hi Carol,
I absolutely adore your joint plan for the budgie, especially if it can get it's script right ( and if it can resist saying the same thing to all and sundry !) Especially sundry. Maybe build on your last remark, and pay very much more noticeable attention whenever , even accidentally, he says something less miserable or unpleasant.
PEople are able to shift their prejudices about racial issues to a considerable degree, but it's especially hard for the elderly, who are set in their ways, and very much less able to be flexible about anything.

1
Posted by: No_man | 2004/11/07

I can't believe you would tell your father to shut up you miserable old sod. Whatever happened to respecting our parents. Did he abuse you or personally attack you to make you so hateful. Not only whites are racist you know.

Reply to No_man