Question
Posted by: Jadee | 2007/05/25

Re: T-scores

If I could please ask your expert opinion on this matter...(I have included the results of a lumber spine T-score) and would like to know if you agree with the conclusion: 'Osteoporosis of the lumbar spine based on the T-score value for L4' - im just checking with you if you agree whether one can classify osteoporosis in general based on only L4 alone? The AP Spine (L1 – L4) T-score is -1.7

Lumbar spine T-Score: Total BMD of the lumbar spine is .860 g/cm2. The T-score at L4 is -2.9 (consistent with osteoporosis). No change in BMD from previous study.

Thanks so much

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Jadee
In the past we have looked at the total value for the spine i.e. for lumbar vertebrae 1-4 only. We still do that, but if there are 2 vertebrae with extremely low values, we average their total. So if your total = -1.7 as a T score, but your 2 lowest values are for example -2.5 and and - 2.9, your T score would be the average of them i.e. - 2.7. The diagnosis of osteoporosis can not be made on the value of one vertebrae only. Obviously your doctor should do some more investigations as to the cause of the low value of this vertebrae (e.g. lithic lesion etc.).