Question
Posted by: georgia | 2006/07/31

re: sports doctor for my son (10)

my son swims and was fit, until he went to europe for the holidays, he's gain 13kgs and he's times have worsened and his unfit, so we have to start from the begining. i'm looking for a sports doctor in jhb region, so i can take him to put him on a healthy eating plan (to loose weight) to help him get to where he was before the holdiays

Hi Georgia

The only sports doctor that we (sports Science Institute) refer to up there in Joburg is Demetri Constantinou, though I'm not sure that you need to see a doctor for an eating plan, to be honest. I would rather suggest that you see a dietician about this. There are very many good dieticians in Johannesburg, you need only look it up in yellow pages or ask a GP about a referral to one.

So my advice is to see a dietician, and also just remember that if your son is so young, then he has tremendous opportunity still to play school sports and so my advice is that you encourage him to play as much as you can. Diet is important and should not be neglected, but then so is exercise and if you can get him to play, then he will get back where he was.