Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2008/07/11

RE: son's Testicular pain

I wrote to you on Teusday about my son's left testicle that is swollen, red and painful. I followed your advise and took him to see a doctor. He had an ultrasound and tortion was excluded, but he has a hydrocele and vasculature. The doctor said he would need an antibiotic, but he he is highly allergic to peniccillen and gags on the taste of some of the substitutes. (He is 7).
I was so relieve that I forgot to ask what a hydrocele and vasculature is? How else would the treat this if they cannot use an antibiotic and most importantly : HOW did he get it?

Belinda

Thank you for your feedback.

A hydrocele is increased vasculature (veins) around the testis. This can be from a blunt trauma injury that causes swelling/hydrocele around the testis. Sometimes it can also be caused by an infection, hence the treatment with antibiotics. The usual antibiotic used does not contain penicillen. Ensure that your doctor is aware of his allergy to penicillen. This condition usually resolves by itself in a week or two.

Kind regards