Question
Posted by: CB | 2008/02/01

RE So demotivated

Hello DietDoc

In response to your reply last night ...

I am 1.56m and weigh 96kg. My biokineticist wants me to get to between 60 and 63. So I have a LOT to lose.

For breakfast I am eating half a cup of all bran with fat free milk, a fruit as a snack, for lunch tuna or chicken breast with 2 cups of salad and for dinner 120g protein with salad made of free veggies and a cup of 'heavy' veggies like butternut or carrots. At the moment I am not eating the 'heavy' veggies as it feels too much.

I am drinking about 3 liters water a day.

I am on medication for an underactive thyroid (ditroxin 10mg per day) Could my thyroid be what is slowing my weight loss down?

I'm trying so hard and getting nowhere. It is very demoralising.

Dear CB
Thank you for getting back to me with more details of your diet and your build. It would be good if you could reduce down to 60 kg as this would put your BMI back into the normal range at 25. Your diet is reasonable, but I would add 2 extra cups of fat-free milk and/or yoghurt to ensure that you ingest 1200 mg of calcium a day. Calcium is not only essential for many body functions, but has been shown to promote weight loss. If you find that you have still not lost any weight after 2 more weeks, I would recommend that you consult an Endocrinologist (medical dr who specialises in hormone imbalances) because your thyroid deficiency could be preventing weight loss or you may also suffer from insulin resistance. If you should suffer from insulin resistance then it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. When you see the Endocrinologist also discuss the use of Xenical with him/her as this product may assist you to start losing.
Keep up the good work with the exercise

1
Posted by: Another former fattie | 2008/02/02

CB, I also went to a bio - just hang in there, It will come. I took 5 weeks before I lost weightm but then it melted and I also did not pick it up and was much smaller (before the kilo's dropped). Dont give up.

Reply to Another former fattie