Question
Posted by: Very concerned | 2005/07/25

Re: Schizophrenia

I read your article on Schizophrenia.

My nephew (my father's sister's son) has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia and is on medication for it.

I'm 34 years of age and has a son of 20 months old. I had very bad depression after the birth of my son. I don't feel depressed anymore, but I'm a very anxious person and feels stressed most of the time.

Lately I get a burning sensation on my skin. I don't think it is an allergy.

I just want to know what the possibility is for me or one of my sisters to get this disease?

I'm very worried.

Hello again, Vc,
I rather doubt that you are developing Schizophrenia, rather than a version of the more common Post-Natal Depression. Schizophrenia often occurs simply out of the blue, in families where nobody has previously been affected by it. It is only partially inherited. If one of your parents had schizophrenia, your chances of developing it are higher than average, but not VERy high ; if BOTH parents have it, the risk is higher, but it's still not inevitable. From the sound of it, its more likely that your nephew is either one of the cases arising out of the blue, or if to any extent inherited, maybe the risk was inherited through his father's side of the family
Your best bet is still to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment, and advice based on whatever he may find