Question
Posted by: Popple | 2005/12/07

re: posting 164 - high testosterone

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the info. OK, my gynae is afrikaans so the results are also. Maybe you can make sense of it:

BIOCHEMIE: glukose vastend resultaat 4.3 reikwydtes 3.5-5.5 mmol/L

ENDOKRINOLOGIE: 17B Estradiol 294.0 pmol/L
FSH 9.30 mIU/mL
Prolaktien 247 reikwydtes 59-619 mIU/L
Insulien vastend 4.1 reikwydtes 0.2-9.4 uIU/mL

TIROIEDFUNKSIES: TSH 2.33 REIKWYDTES 0.35-5.50 mIU/L
Vry T4 12.9 reikwydtes 10.0-20.0 pmol/L
Tiroiedfunksie biochemies normaal.

TESTOSTEROON: SHBG 27.5 reikwydtes 18.5-107.8 nmol/L
Totale testosteroon 2.12 reikwydtes 0.35-2.9 nmol/L
Vry-bereken 42.5 reikwydtes 3.5-39.0 pmol/L

I hope you have an idea of what this says as I dont!
Thanks alot,
P

Gl-ins Indeks (QUICKI) 0.40

Dear Popple

All the results that you have volunteered are virtually within the normal range despite the slightly lower sex hormone binding globulin(SHBG) which is at a lower range of the normal scale, and the free testosterone being minimally on the upper limit of normal.

These results are not particulary distressing, but may be within the normal fluctuation. Certain medications and also foodstuff, can induce liver enzymes or affect liver functions, and may result in a change of SHBG, which will consequently result in a change of the free testosterone levels.
I would not recommend that you go on any specific treatment based on these results alone, but perhaps would repeat the tests in a few months time to see what the trend in the levels are. Should there be a deterioration or significant increase in the free testosterone than this could be very easily managed with the use of anti testosterone agents which are quite frequently used in gynaecological treatment.