Question
Posted by: Procrastinator | 2004/10/19

re posting 11904

CS, can you please share with us that solution to procrastination?? I am an undergraduate student, struggling to motivate myself enough to start studying long before exams start, instead of waiting until the last minute when the panic sets in. I know I could get great exam results if I were to start early, but I always seem to find any excuses or distractions. Sometimes the bad marks after the exams are enough to shock me into starting my studying earlier, but the effect only lasts for a short time.

There's no secret. But many things can help. Organize ( and check out facilities wherever you study for a study skills counsellor ) -- make a study plan, to spread the work out efficiently over the term and year, rather than leaving it all to the last minute ; alternate usefully long spells of study with rewards you allow yourself only when you have completed the task you set yourself. Yes, you can have that beer / icecream / hour on a videogame, whatever, WHEN you have finished the 2 hours of study you planned.
Also, I found it helped me to make checklists. Even ploughing through a boring textbook was easier if I first made a checklist that'd let me tick off every 5 pages ( on bad days, even every page ) so I could see some sort of progress, rather than feeling as if I was getting nowhere. Similarly, one can make a checklist of specific topics and sub-topics, and other tasks. It helps to be able to see how much you have done, and how much remain to be done.
And if you really can't resist putting off part of the task till tomorrow, make sure it's only part of the task, doesn't need to be done before tomorrow, and that you can only officially postpone it after you have done all the rest of the day's tasks.

1
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/19

Jip, CS please share.

Procrastinator I feel like you do. Before exams alway do other things that I hate but becoz I have to study I'll rather do that.

Reply to JM