Question
Posted by: Tray | 2007/07/25

RE: POST 436 - Now ? LUFS

I appreciate your response re my PCOS, normal CD21 progesterone and positive LH.
I retested my LH yesterday (CD4) - and you were right - it is most definitely still positive, which means I do have "raised baseline LH levels continuously".
Does this mean I have LUFS?
If so, what is the possibility of falling pregnant? Please be brutally honest.
Do I go back to my gynae or try and see a FS?
Do I stay on Metformin?

Thank you,
Tray

Your response was .........................
"Dear Tray

The positive ovulation test as well as confirmatory day 21 progesterone would most likely indicate ovulation having occurred. However in severe cases of PCOS it is possible to have false positive LH detection, simply due to the fact that PCOS sufferers have raised baseline LH levels continuously. Furthermore PCOS patients may also have an increased tendency towards lutenised unruptured follicle syndrome (lufs) which implies no ovulation despite the formation of a corpus luteum and hence elevated progesterone levels as well, in the second half of the cycle. Therefore one would have to trace significant reliance on the ultrasound scan and trusting that this scan was done accurately, I would be inclined to believe that PCOS is quite advanced and needs to be dealt with as a matter of urgency. Aggressive but careful ovulation induction should be considered."

Dear Tray

Certainly the possibility of LUFS remains high and in my opinion the chances of pregnancy are still very good provided that appropriate and adequate stimulation is employed. Continue with the metformin and if the problem persists the option of invitro fertilisation should be considered.

2
Posted by: Tray | 2007/07/25

Hi Dee
Thanks for your reply. I have made an appointment at Vincent Pallotti with Dr Siebert on 27 Aug (CD11). They said I need a referal letter. Would they refuse to see me if I arrive without one?
I getting so confused by all this. My Progesterone on CD21 was 26. That's good isn't it. Dr Cassim has really scared me with this LUFS business. I certainly do have persistent LH, and my gyn couldn't see anything on U/S at CD14 (my cycle is 29 days) - so unfortunately he may be spot on.
I guess I'll have to wait until I see Dr Siebert and get a good look over :-(
I've also heard about the Cape Fertility Clinic in Claremont. Do you know anything about these two places, and where do you think I should go?
Thank you........

Reply to Tray
Posted by: Dee | 2007/07/25

I would most definitely see a FS in this regard. u will be able to fall preg but need to be carefully monitored.

Reply to Dee