Question
Posted by: Chameleon_boy | 2007/05/14

RE: Post 200 - NG Church and gay people

Hey guys, i went back to the archives to see what was going on before i heard of you guys.

I just want to make a quick comment on the post as stated above:

I am gay and i will not return to the ng church after what was told to me... i am also no longer welcome in the church in sasolburg. So the sudden change of heart is purely political... i am a christian, and i want to belong to a church, but where do i do this??

Thanks guys!!

Chamboy XXX

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Chameleon-Boy and thanks for this post.

There are many gay-friendly churches. Please post again and tell us where you are.

2
Posted by: Chameleon_boy | 2007/05/16

Sasolburg - Vaal Triangle

Reply to Chameleon_boy
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2007/05/14

Hi Chameleon_boy. I was never a member of the NG Kerk, though a member of one of the other mainstream Afrikaans churches, and I left them a long time ago. The discussion this way and that by the NG Kerk about the gay “issue” (if I can call it that) seems to me to be nothing more than a way of not taking a decision. Remember in the past Apartheid was an acceptable policy for the NG Kerk, and that stance was later drastically changed. Much of the same is happening here. From what I can gather from the written media last week is that there is a proposal on the table (one of many) not to decide on the matter, but rather to refer it to individual congregations for decision, and where gay people can be dealt with in a "brotherly" fashion. Seems to me like passing the buck. Why are they so afraid of taking a decision? They always have a ready answer with the omnipresent BUT at the end of it. I believe that in matters of religion there should be no BUTS and IFS. Are they afraid of a rift in the Church? Is money talking? Why don't they just come up with a decision and say it? If they really believe being gay is a sin and that gay persons are not welcome in the NG Church, why not say it? Are they afraid of the Constitution? Why not take a decision and let everybody get on with their lives.

Reply to LONEWOLF