Question
Posted by: michelle | 2008/07/20

re: pigmentation

Thank you for the reply. I have used environ about 6 years ago but then went over to the rooibos range. The dermatologist also gave me 4% hydroquinone mixed with aqeuous cream which i used for 2 months but made face very red and sensitive. He then said I should not worry as the pigmentation does not look too bad, but has got worse over the last year. The therapist said it is hormonal known as melasma and I feel embarassed to go anywhere even to the gym without covering up with foundation, the marks seem to go red during the day and by mid morn needs to be covered up again. I even tried 6 weekly treatments of micro derabrasions which did make the face lighter, but once I stopped the marks came back. The left side seems worse than the right side which I think could also be from driving in the car. I would say it is sun damage and pigmentation even though I use dermopal daily (30spf). The NeoStrata gel and cream I see comes from the USA. Is it available at the Dr'  s rooms only and is it an expensive product to use. Has SA not got a product equivalent to the NeoStrata range. What sun block do you recommend for the South African climate for anti ageing.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Michelle, It is my pleasure and thank you for the new question.

As mentioned in the previous answer Melasma is a difficult form of pigmentation to treat and I have listed a number of different options. NeoStrata is available only at doctors rooms and I believe for what one is getting the prices are fair (moisturizer and SPF 40 grams = R266.00). My preference is to use Heliocare SPF 50 (also at doctors rooms) during the summer months.