Question
Posted by: Rors | 2003/03/28

RE: OCD

Thank you so much for your reply. I really enjoyed your seven, which has five, which has 4. That made my day---really funny. I must mention that as I work in the healthcare sector, and have managed hospitals etc., I am in the habit of reading the insert leaflets relating to the drugs prescribed to me. I did notice that Rivotril is prescribed for epilepsy, and that is not a condition that I suffer from.??!!! This has been going on for years now and apart from my present medication, I was also on Serepax, Luvox, Tranxene, Mogadon, Inderal, Atarax (spelling?)---the list goes on and on. Since nothing seems to be working, ECT was suggested. I do a lot of part-time lecturing, and advise companies on process reengineering, acquisitions and so on. The point that I am making, is that although I have this OCD problem, I am very successful at what I do. I find it unbelieveable that after so many years of treatment, I am still battling. I will seek a second opinion as you so wisely suggest. One last question---if I stop all the medication, and try to go it alone, what are my chances if I am really determined to take control of the situation. I am however afraid of withdrawal symptoms. Thanks for your help.

Dear Rors, ( which has 4, after all ! )
You are absolutely right to fear withrawal symptoms. One real problem with any medication combination that incldes substantial doses of sedative drugs, over a significant period of time, is that one's brain get's used to their presence, and can react badly to their sudden withdrawal. They vary in how slowly or rapidly they are removed from one's system, and in their potential to cause withdrawal problems ; and dealing with this combination and planning an optimum plot for reducing each of them at the safest speed, is a bit too complex for us to try to work it out online ! So maybe it's best to remain on the medications until you have seen the new shrink, and include amongst your questions, the issue of what changes to your current meds would be most adviseable, and how best to plan reductions of whatever meds may be stopped at this time.
I am sure that you can indeed be very effective at what you do. Obsessionality may be an uncomfortable posession, but we'd all prefer our accountants, auditors, lawyers, and other professionals, to be obsessively thorough, on our behalf !
The more you describe it, the more I find your range of recent treatments to be puzzling, as they include so many sedatives, and so few medications every routinely used in treating OCD
Good luck with the second opinion, and do pop back in due course with a fresh message, and let us kno how things work out.

1
Posted by: Rors | 2003/03/31

Many thanks for all your assistance. I will keep you informed as to my progress and new medication.

Reply to Rors