Question
Posted by: Jackadeejack | 2004/09/28

RE : Need to help a friend

What shrink? I know notin about you ppl.. where you are, how to find u.. nothing.

Problem 2: The family: Is it really my business to interfere with family business? I really dont want to cause more trouble.

When is the best time to talk with the family? I dont think my friend should then be there... ? When his dad & mom comes back from poland (next week), I though of visiting his dad during office hours since he's the one running the house (mom dont have much of a say- neither does the rest of the family).

Maybe this is an old-fashioned European / Polish family ? Anyhow, a traditional one in which women aren't much listened to ? aybe they need to get with the times. You shouldn't interfere with the families Business in a commercial sense, but if the boy is well known to you, letting them know that he may be contemplating suicide is the sort ot interference any proper and competent parent should welcome eagerly. You can also work through the boy, encouraging him to talk to his folks and to make it clear how desperate he is feeling and that he DOES need help. Denying proper psychiatric care to a seriously ill child IS child abuse, so we are obliged to take it seriously.
As for finding shrinks, (a) I gathered as Papa had objected to the cost, that the boy had been seeing one recently, and (b) the species of shrink is not hard to find, either by referral through the GP/family doctor, or psychiatrists and psychologists are mostly listed in the phone book.