Question
Posted by: Jackadeejack | 2004/09/28

RE : Need to help a friend

We talked again last night and here is some info. If anybody has some hints.. please throw it here. I think this case might be a bit more serious than one would normally think.

His words(while he's playing with new scissors(my engels stink bietjie)):
-" I dont worry anymore. If I die, some people might feel sad for a week and then they will be over it"
-Some neurotransmitters doesn't work very well so he thinks "basically I'm just faktap, wont pass maths, wont get a job- companies dont want people like me"- he is a linux expert with the best programming skills in pta.
-" I have done so much wrong, there is no way out (het baie aangejaag)" Note: he doesn't remember how it is in a church.
- "My dad said I need to stop the pills and the shrink 'coz they think I'm now ok and stuff is too expensive." Note: He's dad is a multi millioner.

any ideas?

Jackadeejack,
Get him to see a good local psychiatrist asap. Remind him his dad can afford any treatment he needs ( millionaires are so mean !) He is talking, from your quotes, exactly like a seriously depressed person thinking of suicide. Could you discuss this with his family to the extent of pushing them to change tack and encourage him to resume serious treatment ? WOuld he be persuadable to take the initiative on this ? Remind him of his skills which are in demand and likely to be even more so in the future. But find a way to get him to resume seing the shrink and to tell that shrink exactly how hopeless he has been feeling.