Question
Posted by: Anon# | 2008/01/22

Re: Moocher son

Thanks for the advise CS. I always have to deal with being manipulated and feel as if I did not do a proper job as a parent. I know exactly where I went wrong and I have apologised for this but I have also explained that I cannot change that and we need to move along. Maybe the kids had too much and now expect everything to be handed in their laps otherwise they get disgruntled and have to blame someone else for not being responsible grown ups. He is after all 31 yrs old. How long does he want to blame me for his failures? I have looked up tough love as you suggested and found it very interesting and will give them a call tomorrow.

You surely did the best you could, as a parent, and never had the remotest intention of contributing in any way to your kid becoming like this. I doubt that you went greatly wrong, and apologising for it does't really help, as you'e discovered. He absolutely HAS to learn to take responsibility for himself and to accept the inevitable or at least likely results of the choices he makes and the things he does.
Good luck, and keep in touch with the forum and let us know how things work out.