Question
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

Re: Meds

Thank you for your reply

Please tell me what is Lantonon? Is there a reason that a doc would prescribe both Lantonon and Cipralex together?

I have also been experiencing wild and vivid dreams... a lot of violence and I can't wake myself up. Could this be the medication.

I am not going to see the psychiatrist again this year... my medical aid is finished for this year... she has given me a script until the end of December...
I am also not too happy about being on soooo much medication.

what do you think?

Hi Inc,
Lantanon ( chemical name Mianserin) is an antidepressant I have never used, and a litle different in its cemical effects from the more common tricuclics ( the oldest group of antidepressants ) or the newer SSRI's ( the prozac family ). It can sometimes be effective, when one is not responding well to more usually used antidepressants.
And yes, pretty well any antidepressant may give one more frequent and vivid dreams, which may actually be a sign that the drug is also doing some of the more desirable things in the right places. And it can in part be a swing back from the reduced dreaming that occurs in some phases of depression.
As it sounds as if your psychiatrist is concerned and involved and trying to help you use your medical aid coverage wisely, maybe its best to stick to her advice for a while longer, and see how things go.
And your expression about sorrows being such good swimmers is sheer brilliance. I'll remember that one !
And let's continue with your metaphors about the dreams --- don't let yourself get absorbed in any unpleasant aspects of them --- consider them a free extra DSTV channel, at now extra charge.
And some of that extra edginess, like the bad dreams, can be a sign of the drugs kick-starting a stronger antidepressant process, in contrast to the smothering inaction of depression. If it should get really uncomfortable, your shrink might suggest a dosage modification.

19

Hey Inc

I hope u dont my mind my asking.But has that guy ever contacted you since?

Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/27

You're welcome CP Mom - have a good evening.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/27

I understand that which you have described. I think when the meds really start to kick in, you will be able to almost distance yourself from the issues and be able to make much more rational decisions and things then start falling into place.
A place of acceptance awaits you - just keep looking after yourself and don't be too impatient - you are growing during this time and will see things in a new light before you know it.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: CP MOM | 2004/10/27

Chelle - dankie vir al jou bystand, wyse woorde, en "back-up".
Inc - hope you have just sweet dreams tonite girlfriend :-))

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

I don't know what I'm edgy about... I feel restless... I want to sort my life out, but it's not working out that way. I'm impatient! I want things to be done as in yesterday... I'm tired of the misery.. I just want to move on now... I don't know if I'm making any sense?
As for the nightmares... I will wait it out and see what happens.

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/27

My goodness Inc -Those sound awful. I really hope you stop having these nightmares soon. My shrink warned me, but I was fortunate. I was afraid to sleep because I suffer from nightmares under normal circumstances and the thought of them worsening was scary. I had some people on standby expecting me to phone them in the night. Fortunately I never had to make use of it. The nightmares alone are enough to make you feel edgy.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

I've been on it for 2 weeks...
I've dreamt of being gunned down from the back and me falling over my baby trying to protect her... I dreamt of being electricuted... about my friend being burnt in the face... I've dreamt of worms coming out of my mouth... and the more I pull them out... the bigger they get and then they start eating my tongue... I dreamt about a gun in my face and someone pulling the trigger... man, it's aweful!

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/27

The nightmares are supposed to stop after a while. According to my shrink it should only be for the first few weeks or so.
One good thing is that I stopped nibbling and get satisfied at meal times much quicker! A big plus for me!

Inc maybe if you scream, the boss will get such a fright, he'll book you off for a few days. What are you really edgy about?

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: CP MOM | 2004/10/27

I've been on cipralex for 1 month now and last nite I had a dream re: hi-jacking and my child on the school bus.. I never have bad dreams... u guys are scarying me now....

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

This internet connection is not too well either today! I have to keep logging in to post something!
Is there no meds for a depressed internet?
Ai... I don't know... I'm so edgy... I want to scream, but my boss will have a stroke if I do!
I have the munchies today... do you also want to eat all the time when you are stressed out?

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

Cool!

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/27

I can be your Marcian friend if you like :)

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

I hope you feel better and I hope I feel better too... tomorrow always seems to be a better day...
Glad I made you smile... My duty has been done on earth today...
now... where are my Marcian friends?

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/27

Pity you can't take a video of your dreams - you might have a best seller on your hands!
I also found that on the meds I definitely need more sleep than before. Instead of 7 hours I only feel decent if I have about 9 hours. Anything less and I feel down the next day. (I always get depressed when I don't sleep enough meds or not).
Thinking about it, I did only have 7 hours last night and the night before - the reason for me being down today I suppose.
Strange how mothers can be a source of so much frustration. I always wanted a mom who would be more involved with my life. If I don't phone her, or visit, I swear she'd forget I existed!

Thanks - I did smile :)

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

Yes... they suggested consulting with my mother... since they came to the conclusion that she is the reason why I am always second-guessing myself... so I agreed... and it didn't get me anywhere... my mother has done so many 'wrong' things to me that it makes me tired just thinking about it. I just want her to acknowledge that I am a person in my own right and to stop interferring... her so-called help is just too destructive!

I know what you mean about those down-days... I wish there were some quick fix to make it all pretty again... maybe we need a day to just go crazy and do all those bottled-up things that come to mind... preferably in a place where no one knows us!

As for my movie-magic dreams... no wonder I'm tired in the morning... I've been a part of plenty of action during the night... talk about having an acting career on the side!

I hope I've put a smile on your face... even if it's just a incy-wincy little one... :)

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/27

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. Are you sure the shrink bought it? Maybe the questions afterwards gave you the impression. Did they ask your permission to consult with your mother beforehand? I would hate my shrink consulting with anyone in my family. It seems weird to me - unless of course you specifically asked them too.
I like that expression - "sorrows are good swimmers". I have also attempted to drown them at certain times, but you're right, they never die that way. If it was possible or effective, I'd send an army to kill your sorrows.

I'm doing okay. Feeling a little down today, but nothing bad. I've been really good the lastfew weeks, and had hoped it would continue forever. The meds can only do so much. Bad days don't disappear on meds - I wish they could, but the odd bad day is a part of life, and I do want to live, so this is just part of that process I suppose.

I'm glad you are doing well physically, and I hope the dreams stop soon - they don't sound at all pleasant.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

Hi Chelle

I'm feeling somewhat tense after my session yesterday. The psychiatrist consulted with my mother before my appointment and as I expected, she turned everything around to make it seem that she is only trying to help me and all I do is push her away. So, I've decided to ignore this battle and move on with the war. I told the doc exactly what I expected my mother to say... and she did just that... and the psychiatrist and the psychologist bought it!!! I felt like just getting drunk and drowning my sorrows last night... however, I am all too aware that my sorrows are good swimmers!
So, I don't quite know if all this therapy is worth anything... I feel like I'm back to square one... I don't know what I'm going to do.
Physically... I couldn't be better...

These dreams are really freaky... it's unbelievable! I'm so confused in the mornings... takes me time to focus.

how are you doing?

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/27

When I started on the equivalent of Cipralex, my shrink told me that there was a very good chance I would have nightmares and vivid dreams. I was also advised that it was temporary. Possibly, the Cipralex causes the dreams and the other meds are not enabling you to wake up.
How are you feeling otherwise?

Reply to Chelle