Question
Posted by: Sad Mommy | 2004/02/29

Re-Lactating

Hello Doc
I was wondering if it is possible to re establish breast feeding. My story goes like this.
I breast fed my baby until 10 weeks of age, where I suffered post-natal depression. I was told by doctors and friend and family to stop breastfeeding and give myself a break, and get some sleep and time away from my baby. I did just that which made me even more sad as that was at least the one successful thing I could do. I am fully recovered now at least.

My baby is now 8 months old, and I still have a bit of breast milk left, very little about 10ml at the most. My baby suffers a lot from allergies and flu and I still think if I could have breast fed her longer it would have made the difference.

Do you think it is wise to re-establish breast milk and if so I can I do it?

If you allow the baby to suclkle, this may well stimulate milk production. However, I think you have missed the boat. The best time to breastfeed in terms of preventing allergies,etc is in the first six months.