Question
Posted by: GSD Lover | 2007/05/28

RE: Introducing GSD female to new puppy

Hi all,

Thanks for you advise on introducing my wacky GSD female to the new puppy. I took the puppy home ( his name is Yasu by the way), I decided to go all the way, opened his carrier case and introduced him to both my male and female at the same time. There was a bit of pulling and shoving to get to him and smell his bum, then my female grabbed her ball and the fun and games began. The adults fetched ball, the puppy chased them and I cried like a baby with relief!!! I felt like such a proud mummy!

The only problem now is night time. He does not sleep well, even tho he sleeps in the same room as me. He gets up every hour, whines and scratches on the door. I take him out but then he just sits outside and yawns. Any suggestions on getting him to settle down a bit. He is also a GSD, 9 wks old.

Thanks,

It will take him a while to settle down to sleeping apart from his litter mates and family but should soon settle in.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/05/28

Do some research on crate training. I know you'll probably hate the idea of locking your dog in a crate, but believe me, it works, and the dogs are happy and secure once they get used to it. My ex-pup (she's now 20 months) still gets put in her crate, with some stuff to keep her amused, when I go out - she's totally happy and I know she can come to no harm.

The crate replicates the dogs' den, and you get the benefit of the instinct which makes them feel safe enough to go to sleep and not worry about the rest of the world.

Obviously the time the dog spends in the crate is limited, but that stands to reason.

Just a small question: you say you introduced the male pup to BOTH your female and other male dog - do you already have a male GSD as well? If so, you could have problems ahead...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/05/28

Congratulations first of all. As you say it was a relief that your dogs took to the puppy. Remember your puppy is in a new environment hence not sleeping like he should. Give it time he will soon work around your schedule. To wake up on the hour every hour you must be walking zombie by now. If you give in to his every whining he will take advantage of you. Maybe keep him in the bathroom or a cordon off area and you put newspaper down then you won't be getting up all the time. If your room is carpeted that won't be a good idea but if it is tiled maybe.

Reply to KAZ