Posted by: Leila | 2008/07/18

RE: How does it work?

Good day,

I' ve learned this in some self defence class YEARS ago, but cannot remember properly, will you please refresh...

If you hit someone with the palm of your hand, slightly under the nose and push up you will be able to kill with such a " punch"  It pushes the nosebone into the brain... it that true??

How hard do you have to hit? Is this effective? I' m a single lady living in a very dangerous suburb and I don' t have any weapons I' ll have to get phisical, I need something that works and is very effective.

Would you please advise?

Expert ImageSelf defence expert

Hi Leila,

Thank you fro contributing to the forum. Without any disrespect i have to agree with C.C. Student.
It is imperative that you understand that one needs to train on a regular basis to be able to apply techniques effectively against a resisting opponent in a high pressure situation. Effective self defense is not just techniques but more so about the proper mind set and constant awareness. Joining a reality based Personal PRotection training group in you area or to at aleast look out for public workshops in your are will assist you standing a better chance surviving the streets of today.
Please email me at and i will assist you with where you can receive this kind of training.

Kindest Regards

Posted by: Leila | 2008/07/24

In this case I definately have to apologise, sorry for jumping up and down - I guess I' m tense living in fear all the time - these things get to a person. I understand where you are coming from. Thanks and sorry.

Reply to Leila
Posted by: C.C. | 2008/07/24

Look I' m not trying to be horrible or make you feel inadequet, I have had to fight for my life on a number of occasions, I train every week and I still felt lucky to come away unharmed. Pepperspray being my saving grace, but I have drilled grabbing my pepperspray pointing it at my assailent and spraying. the first few times we drilled this under pressure I couldnt even draw it out, then i found I was spraying myself more than my ' assailent' , now after pleny drills in different scenarios I' m quite comfortable and it HAS worked for me in reality. Although I also bear in mind the possibility of being disarmed in the scuffle and have trained alternate options, I' ve been lucky to get it right first time so far.

Please understand that due to My experience I feel you are in a false sense of security thinking that classes you attended years ago will benifit you today, or that you can rely on one move to defeat an assailent. But I do concede I' m no expert, just an enthusiastic practicioner of reality based personal protection, and active member SAPS

Reply to C.C.
Posted by: Leila | 2008/07/22

Too me it does, because it' s effective. Thanks for your sarcastic input, your opinion is noted.

Reply to Leila
Posted by: C.C. Student | 2008/07/18

kick in the groin is effective, eye gouge is effective, punching the jugular is effective. GET weapons, pepper sray is the most effective and convieniant I' ve ever used, works.
Moving out of the dangerous suburb could be a consideration although granted no-where is too safe in this beautiful continent.

You cant rely on somthing you learnt YEARS ago to save you when your first encounter happens. At the very least you should be carrying pepper spray. Look at it from the point of veiw that the encounter is inevidable, your life could depend on how you are prepared for this encounter, does directions for a single palm strike to the nose seem like a street smart life saving stratergy?

Reply to C.C. Student