Question
Posted by: Jean | 2005/11/30

Re: Gout

Could you please advise or give me a diet to follow for Gout, which has just been diagnosed in my left knee,is there any way to stop it spreading?

Thank you.

Jean

Jean, I wrote something on gout a while ago, so I just copied the following from it. Please let me know as a new question if you have more questions. Good luck.
“The main thing is not to over indulge in rich foods (they contain purine which the body uses to make uric acid), and beer and wine. It is always a good idea not to be overweight. Drinking plenty of water will help to flush the uric acid out of the bloodstream via the kidneys. It will also prevent you from getting uric acid kidney stones. Some medicines like diuretics may also precipitate gout.
Forbidden food (food not fruit): these contain very large amounts of purine.
Anchovies, Bovril, liver, kidney, pâté, meat extracts and thick gravies.
Foods to avoid: (do not have more than one of these once a week).
Red meat, pork, Shellfish, trout, duck and venison.
Foods best eaten in moderation: (no more than one of these four times a week).
Chicken, ham, mutton, haddock, herring, oysters, salmon, shad, tuna, asparagus, cauliflower, kidney beans, butter bean, mushrooms, spinach, rhubarb, strawberries, whole grain cereals and bread.
The “hey, go bananas, have as much as you like” type foods.
Dairy products, veggies not mentioned above, ditto for the cereals and bread, fruit, eggs, sugar, nuts and caviar (just when you thought you couldn’t have anything nice).

One’s immediate reaction is to think that following this diet is more painful than gout – it probably is. The problem is that gout doesn’t just cause pain, it also destroys the joint in the process. And as said before, it can cause kidney stones (now there’s a pain even worse than gout!), which then can destroy your kidneys, which will then destroy you, which tends to be a bit of a downer. :-)

Please keep in mind that the above-mentioned list is not the alpha and omega of gout diets, it's just a guideline. Diet Doc will probably have more information on the finer details.”