Question
Posted by: Jolly | 2006/10/31

Re feedback on bullterrier puppy

Hi Everyone;

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. Last night we had a great night.

Firstly my husband took some wood and made a "mini fence" around the swimming pool. Secondly I found out that she was starving. The breeder told me to only allow the puppy to eat the pellets whe bought from her to avoid stomach upset, unfortunately the puppy hated the pellets, so out of desperation yesterday I gave her chicken & rice flavoured kitten food that was my cat's food. The puppy ate like there was no tomorrow. I know this sounds wrong but I didn't have any other choice, she kept on crying and when she finished eating she fell asleep immediately.
I also took teddy bears and placed it underneath her blanket to look like more bodies and the hot water bottle.
She slept withouth any crying up until 13h30 outside with the older bullterrier, in her own kennel and the reason she awoke was due to the older bullterrier barking at something. I then reheated the hot water bottle and puppy slept through until this morning. Once again thanks!!!

Good luck with the training period.

4
Posted by: SUN | 2006/11/01

Wonderful, I am glad that puppy has settled down and that you can have a good night sleep! They are so precious! All the best!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/31

Glad your pup is happier, but be careful of one thing. Puppies are programmed to be incredibly greedy - they have to be, because if they aren't competitive about food, then of course their littermates are going to nab it and they'll weaken and die. So just bear in mind that puppies will eat until they're practically bursting and you're convinced they were completely starved beforehand. This greediness lasts pretty much until they finish growing, at around 8 months or so. So don't fall into the 'mom I'm hungry' trap - feed the right quantity and watch her growth and overall condition. Overfeeding will stimulate overfast growth, which is not a good thing for any pup.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2006/10/31

Agree with Acineth, just remember to gradually introduce the new puppy food into her diet. If you do not have any of the other food left, give her the new food and add some Protexin from your Vet. Just followingthe dosage on the insert ~ miracle stuff!

Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/10/31

That's good news. If she didn't like the food the breeder gave, get a different, good brand of puppy food. The reason the breeder gave for giving you the food she is used to is valid.

Reply to Acineth