Question
Posted by: Taz | 2005/01/06

RE: DVT Recovery time & Re-occurance

In Nov last year I had a DVT in my let leg. I was told that there were a couple of clots in my left thigh. I was in hospital for a couple of days where I was injected with Clexain. I am now on Warfarin & have been told I will have to be on Warfarin for 6 months. I was told by the doctor that they are not sure why I developed the clot but it might be hereditary, or bec I had got a bad kick from my soccer match, or bec I was on the pill at the time. The doctor said it is probably a combination of factors.

Could you please let me know a couple of things:
1. When is it safe to resume soccer training ie. running, kicking, streching ect.
2. When is it safe to resume socer matches (Where I might get kicked a little).
3. My left leg is still bigger than my right leg, will it ever come back down to normal & if so when.
4. Will my veins in that leg have permanant damage or do they usually recover.
5. Will the clot dissolve by itself & how long will it take to do so.

I'm sorry that I am asking you so many questions. I would really appreciate a response.

Taz

Taz,
1. Yes.
2. After 6 weeks.
3. Within 2 weeks. The best would be to contact our surgeon and find out if everything is OK.
4. It will probably not recover completely, but it shouldn’t be a problem as other veins will be able to compensate for it.
5. The body will try to dissolve the clot and the warfarin will stop it from forming again. How long this will take depends on the size of the clot.
Good luck.

1
Posted by: DR | 2005/01/09

I am in my 20's and have had 2 blood clots, three years apart. I would like to know why the size of the affected leg never decreased, the last one happened about a year ago but my calf is about 5cm bigger than the other, I cant wear any shoes in my size, unless they are sandle types or really broad as my foot can't fit in the shoe, the other side is fine. Will this ever go down, as I said it's been a year since my last clot and 4 years since the first, I won't even wear shorts anymore because the differance is so obvious and if I stand too long it starts swelling, making it even more obvious.

Will I forever be doomed with this problem or is there hope yet.

Reply to DR