Question
Posted by: kappie | 2006/11/12

re duration of cause

Hi there, I would like to know when taking probiotics, how long do I take it for,and must I take a maintenance dose afterwards. I have vaginal candida at times.I am menapausal.
Thanking you
Lorraine Kapp

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

There is no exact answer. In general probiotics can be taken daily just like a vitamin supplement on an ongoing basis. They are safe and cannot do any harm.
If you have a chronic problem (like some people have with vaginal candida), continue as long as you feel necessary. You can have a break and then start a supplement again if your symptoms recur.