Question
Posted by: N@S | 2004/01/15

RE: Drug name

At the moment, I am taking Fluoxetine (Fluoxetine Hydrochloric equvilent to 20 Fluoxetine). The doctor gave it to me because I am depressed. What exactly does this stuff do? How long does it take to work because I have been taking it for a week and nothing has happened. I heard that another name for it is Prozac, is this true? I am 19 and taking this stuff, is it good for me? If I am already taking these pills, then will it be likely that I might have to use them at a later stage of my life because of depression?

N@S, fluoxetine is the active ingredient in Prozac® (an excellent drug). It just normalises the concentration of a neurotransmitter in the brain called serotonin. Depression might be caused by low serotonin levels and the fluoxetine stops the body from “reabsorbing” it. It usually starts working within 2 weeks, but it may take as long as 6 weeks. It takes the body 4 to 6 months to accept this “new” level of serotonin and that’s why we say that you have to take it for at least 6 months. Fluoxetine is the most stimulating of the newer antidepressants and is prescribed in people that suffer from tiredness and sleeping too much as part of their depression. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Snoopy | 2004/01/15

You will only feel the effects after 2 - 3 weeks. it is good stuff and works well. Yes, it is the generic (equivalent) of prozac (the world no. 1 anti-depressant). The drug is not habit-forming as far as I know but you may have to use anti-depressants for as long as you have depression -- and that could be anything from a month to a life time.
Sounds like your Doc knows what he's doing.

Reply to Snoopy