Question
Posted by: female | 2003/02/27

Re: Diet and Diet Tablets

I am a 29 year old female. I have always had a weight problem but am at a reasonable weight at the moment. I got my weight under control with the help of the "health" diet tablets formula 2001.
This was about 4 years ago. My problem is that when I do not take these tablets my appetite comes back with avengence and I've found the only way to keep my weight under control is to continue on these tablets and so have been on and off them for almost 4 years now. I find that becuase I suffer from hyperglycemia if I try and diet without them I become very irritable, drained and often feel faint and get terrible headaches, even if I stick to the normal 6 small meals a day with low sugar content. The tablets give me the energy I need to continue with normal daily activities.
My question is - Are these tablets harmful to my health? They say the ingredients are all "natural".

Dear Reader
Even products that tell you that they are 'healthy' (a description that is most misleading and prohibited with standard foods in SA) and 'natural' may contain herbal or plant extracts that have the same effects and side-effects as pharmaceutical products. If you check the ingredient list on this product you can check if it contains ingredients such as Citrus Aurantium which is a plant form of epinephrine which has the same side-effects as epinephrine found in other appetite suppressants. Click on 'Diet' and 'Diet Detective' and 'Slimming Pill Ingredients, Positive & Negative Effects' to check out what the different ingredients. In your condition with the hypoglycaemia, I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings)) to help you sort out your diet - it really is worth it.
Take care