Question
Posted by: anon2 | 2007/08/17

Re: Consultation

Hi CS
My shrink changed my meds three weeks ago. Just when I thought I’m fine I’ve suddenly been hit by extreme restlessness. A type of restlessness my colleagues previously complained about – said it upsets them. The idea of a spending spree excites me - it can lead to financial difficulty if I do. Despite all of this I feel down and the smallest thing upsets me. I’m able to do with very little sleep instead of sleeping the whole day when I had the chance. I still can’t concentrate at all. I don’t know if I’m only anxious and should ride this episode out or see my shrink. What is your advice? At least I don’t feel that the sensors of the alarm system in my home are still watching me closely..

You really need to call your shrink and discuss this new situation with him / her. There are a number of medications ( you haven't mentioned what you're taking ) can cause an unpleasant sense of restlessness called akathisia. But you seem to be describing a range of other aspects of instability at present, including being tempted to go on a spending spree. DO you perhaps have a Bipolar Disorder, perhaps shifting into a manic phase. But I think it'd be really wise for you to see your shrink for a re-assessment.