Question
Posted by: Pauka | 2004/11/04

Re: Clomid (Ovulation and Fertility)

Hi ladies,

Im TTC, Im gonna take my 2nd course of Clomid (starting on Sunday 07-11 Nov), and according to my ovulation calender if tells me the following:-
My October LMP was 02/10/2004
My November LMP was 03/10/2004
18/11/2004 - a little bit fertile
19/11/2004 - fertile
20/11/2004 - very fertile
21/11/2004 - time to ovulate
My questions are:-
1. What I want to know is if u on Clomid can u still ovulate on the same days 14 days before your next cycle, or your ovulation period can change due to Clomid?
2. What are my chances of conceving if I make love on say 18/19/20/21?
3. What is the difference between fertile period and ovulation period?

Do apologise for long questions

Luv Pauka

Your ovulation period can change due to the Clomid. The best way to know when you are ovulating is for your gynaecologist to track your cycle with scans and blood tests. Alternatively, use an ovulation detector kit.
Fertile period is the time when you can fall pregnant. Ovulation is release of the egg which survives about 48 hours.

2
Posted by: Pauka | 2004/11/04

Hi Golly,

Thank u very much for your prompt response, I really appreciated!!!!

Luv Pauka

Reply to Pauka
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/04

Re your questions:
1) Clomid regulates ovulation for women who have irregular ovulation or no ovulation. Sometimes the Clomid dosage is too low to regulate the ovulation and after 3 courses at a specific concentration, the doc should prescribe a heavier dose.
2) Best is to space intercourse for every second day as too frequent intercourse depletes the sperm and actually lowers your chances. Suggest 18/11, 20/11 and 22/11 as good dates, alternatively start on 17/11 and repeat every second day. Your chances of success is the same as for any normal couple ~ 20-25% per cycle.
3) Sperm lives for up to 3 days inside your reproductive tract, that is why starting before ovulation is a good idea. The egg lives for ~24 hours that is why you still have a chance of conception a day after ovulation (22/11).
Good luck with all the planning. I hope things work out for you!

Reply to Golly