Question
Posted by: SUSAN | 2003/12/05

RE: CHROMIUM PICOLINATE

I have always understood that Chromium Picolinate is an exceptionally good product for Cholesterol, and keeping blood sugar levels right, but looking up in Health 24 I see a report that a doctor says that this product builds muscle and can cause mutations in ones DNA. It can also lead to sterility and lenthal genetic mutations. This is the first time I have heard of this.

Patrick Holford recommends this product to all people who suffer with blood sugar levels, cravings for sweet things,
Fatigue, obesity, etc, etc.

Can you throw some light on this mineral please.?

Dear Susan
This is a case where a small dose is highly beneficial, i.e. using TRACE AMOUNTS of chromium assists with regulating blood sugar levels, and weight loss, BUT if individuals should start taking large doses (in excess of 200 micrograms a day) then they can expose themselves to toxicity which can cause various problems such as those you list. It is a known fact that certain nutrients have safe levels at which they expert highly positive effects and toxic levels where they literally poison the body (for example vit A at doses exceeding the Recommended Daily Allowance can also cause highly negative side-effects including damage to the unborn child). It is thus never a good idea to ingest more than the recommended amount - sort of 'If a small amount helps me to lose weight, then a big amount will have even better results' - this is incorrect and if you scan the Archives you will see that I ALWAYS caution Readers NOT to exceed the recommended dose of 200 micrograms a day.