Question
Posted by: me again | 2008/05/26

Re: CBT ....

I was reading posting 1590 and just thought I’d comment on CBT therapy. I attended a few sessions…after I found myself in a situation I couldn’t control and understand..and I realised that I needed help. I never thought that I’d go the CBT route but after reading so much about it on this forum I decided to go…I was so desperate to be helped! Anyway, what helped is the fact that I could vent, talk to someone who didn’t know me. The psychologist mentioned after a few sessions that I knew what the underlying problems were/are..I just didn’t know how to DEAL with it…You get to work with your thoughts etc.. like what to do with it, you look at probabilities iso possibilities…which helps when you need to make a decision going forward. So ya, CBT does help to a certain extent, needless to say….it doesn’t sort out the problems there and then. I still have to live with what happened and I still have a memory..and the old saying “time heals all wounds” does help…With time, my hurt and anger got less and less….. and I’m still learning to deal with life in a positive way! It’s hard work, but doing the right thing is never easy…and I still get thoughts of revenge..BUT I know that I have to turn those thoughts around where I can grow and benefit from this. Otherwise healing does not happen. We can;t help the thoughts that come into our heads, but we can control what we do with them... Thanks for reading, this forum always helps one to express…

It's always hard work. Indeed, if anyone proposes some form of therapy for such problems that does NOT require both time and hard work, and which is puurely easy, or requires nothing much to be done by you, you can be certain you're hearing from a quack.
You seem to be referring to some of the non-specific factors which are definitely helpful --- an opportunity to vent in safety, to talk frankly with someone not part of your regular life and its events. CBT of course goes further than that,. and I'm not sure if the therapist you saw actually provided CBT. Anyhow, so long as it was helpful, that's the main thing ! And if you can express yourself in therapy, as eloquently and usefully as you do here, the future ought to look brighter !