Question
Posted by: mik | 2004/10/20

RE: Cardio & Cardic

I have been getting these strange stich like symptoms on my right side of my chest...at the top of my 1/2dn rib. Sometimes this pain moves to the heart area. I am 31 year old female, go to gym 4 times a week. Eat well, and am genearlly in excellent health. This pain seems to occur randomly, but I have noticed it seems to appear more when my heart rate is over 150. I have seen a cardiologist who only found a heart flutter and told me to"ignore the pain" Great advice. However as much asI ingore this, it stubbornly insists on reaccuring. When I slow down my workout the symptoms dissparear. I also find that at night time I get these pains. It helps when I lie on my right side. If you know what this could be or ifanyone else does, please share.

Hi Mik

It's really difficult to say exactly what the cause is. Particularly, if you have seen a cardiologist, it's really very difficult to superimpose my "Unqualified" opinion over that of a specialist in heart health. A few points though: The cardiologist would have had to perform tests on heart function, and if they did this, they would have found if there was an underlying problem. If they did not, then certainly I would recommend this, and probably from another cardiologist. If they did however do the tests properly, then you can be quite confident that the pain is not caused by anything related to the heart, which is good news. In this case, it may be related to digestive function, or possibly something neurological. I would suggest a second opinion, from a cardiologist first, and then a general practioner. I'm afraid that I'm a bit out of my league on the medical side of this one.