Question
Posted by: MICHG | 2007/04/23

RE: BIPOLAR PEOPLES MEMORY AND PROBLEMS

HI DR
I NEED SOME ADVISE FAST. I AM IN THE SITUATION THAT DUE TO MY ILLNESS THEY ARE GIVING ME A DISAPLINARY. THEY
SAY MY WORK IS SUB STANDARD AND THAT COLLEAGUES ARE SCARED TO WORK WITH ME. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BI POLAR 2 A YEAR AGO. MY MEMORY HAS BEEN AFFECTED AND I NEED TO KNOW MY RIGHTS CONCERNING THIS SUBJECT. PLEASE HELP ME.

THANK YOU

MICHG

Only your own psichiatrist, who has properly assessed you in the past and can do so again, can write you a useful report here. Much would depend on the nature of your bipolar illness and its treatment, as to whether it is at all possible that your memory might be affected --- and if colleagues say they are scared to wor with you, that doesn't sound as though it's likely to be due to Bipolar Disorder. A good labour lawyer, or the CCMA or Dept of Labour should be able to clarify your rights. They can't fire you simply because you have a Bipolar Disorder, or any disorder, but may have some right if it seriously affects your work, especially if you have not bothered to receive or stick to, proper treatment for it