Question
Posted by: Donna | 2008/01/17

Re article on light/cancer

Your article on light/cancer etc refers.

It's a pity it seemed necessary to be sarcastic about the 'lunatic green fringe' and the bunch who refer to 'light tresspass' 'without a glimmer of humour'.

Question: what's humorous when your neighbour's security light DOES shine into your bedroom? It IS a form of tresspass, and the fact that in addition, it may actually pose a health hazard is beside the point.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Yes, maybe 'lunatic Green fringe' was a tad strong. But note that I say " 'Light pollution' SEEMS like a non-issue concocted by the lunatic Green fringe", and then I go on to point out that it's not a non-issue at all.

You're not the first person who's told me off for being rude about environmentalists/environmental issues though. It's just I'm very aware that a lot of readers think greenies have no sense of humour and take themselves too seriously, so I try to dispel that notion. But I think I may go too far in the opposite direction sometimes.

As a card-carrying member of the Lunatic Greens myself, I agree with you that light pollution is a real problem. The tricky thing is persuading most other people that it's a real problem....