Question
Posted by: WORRIED MON | 2006/10/26

RE: ARMED ROBBERY

Don't know who I can help my kidz, especially my 11yr old son.

We went through the HORRIBLE ORDEAL of an armed robbery on Saterday evening, whils having a braai with friends.

When the robbers came in, my husband myself our friends and my eldest son (13) was sitting in the lapa. The other 2 boys (11 and 9) were in the house watching T.V. - unbeknownst to the robbers.

After much pleading with them, one of the robbers went into the house and fetched the 2 kidz in the house, gripping my 11yr old son by the arm. The guy, luckly didn't threaten them with his fire-arm, but put it in the slingbag he had around his shoulders. The kidz saw the gun, an co-operated with the robbers - just as all of us did.

Through the grace of God, nobody got hurt.

This morning I had a call from 11's best friend's mom asking what was wrong with him. The councelor at school told them that they shouldn't tell their friends about the incident now, only after we have been for counceling and had worked through the whole thing. The reason he told them not to tell their friends, was because they didn't want to go to shcool yesterday, 'cause they didn't want to face "20 questions."

We are all going for our first counceling session 2morrow. On the scene there was a phsyciatrist that talked to the kidz.

11 is crying every now so often and yesterday afternoon he went to school to "get fit for rugby next year". He ended up running round the rugbyfield for about 2hours and then still went to club-rugby practice. His running at school was confirmed by the after-care teacher.

I don't mind the running and I beleive this is his way of outing his fear, anger, or whatever emotions he has.

I know the counceling will help, but there MUST be something more we as parents can do to help him. The other 2 seem to be reasonalby ok!

This is the 2nd time my kidz has gone through something like this - a couple of years ago my mom got high-jacked in her driveway and when she saw the guys, she hooted and the kidz ran out the house - thinking "granny's home" and ran right into the firearms the high-jackers had with them. Then also, nobody got hurt.

WHY, WHY, WHY? I know not to ask the guestion, and be thankfull that no-one was hurt or God forbid killed in either of these 2 instances, but one can't help but ask.

PLEASE HELP!

HelloWM, and so sorry to hear of your dreadful experience. I'm sure the counselling you're about to start, should make a real difference. The range of normal responses in the immediate aftermath of such a trauma is actually quite wide. And the fact that this is to some extent a repeat of an earlier ugly experience, may complicate things a little.
And Mel, CNT style counselling, even now, after all this time, could be really useful

1
Posted by: Mel | 2006/10/27

I was in an armed robbery 15 years ago - we had a shop and i was alone with the maid (hubby was out) and 3 guys held me up - took all the money, our gun fm the safe. it was a terrible ordeal - knife at my throat and a gun at my stomach but thank GOD I survived to tell the tale.
all i can say is continue with the counselling - i did not go for counselling and i stil am affected to this very day

Reply to Mel