Question
Posted by: Re: Scared | 2007/06/25

Re: Anemia / Cancer

Hi Doc,

I wonder if you could please be of assistance. I lately have had a very low immune system i get sick quite often and i feel very listless for everything in life. I have been diagnosed with severe depression and this all at the tender age of only 27. I get this bloated feeling in my stomach that my tummy swells to double its size. I don't eat, drink or urinate alot. If i do eat something then i have to immediately run to the bathroom and my tummy runs. I try and drink alot of water during the day but food and that tastes like nothing to me anymore. On Friday night i discovered on my right knee that i had a bruise and my knee was painfull. By last night both knees were full of bruises and right down my leg. I have somehow not knocked or hit myself anywhere so i cannot understand what the problem could be. Please would you be so kind as to offer some expert advise please.

Dear Scared
There are a few things that really worry me in your letter - it sounds like you have bleeding inside the knee joint which is very strange if you did not have any falls - this may be the sign of a serious blood disease ( the bone marrow not making platelets or white blood cells for some reason). Please ask your doctor to refer you to a physician as soon as possible. You need blood tests and also an x/ray of the knee.

1
Posted by: Lou | 2007/06/25

The bruising could be from anaemia, which is probably from not eating hence no protein. Your not eating can only cause you huge trouble - physically and mentally. You'd probably find the depression lifting if your body is getting the nutrition it needs to survive. The anaemia would also dissapear if you ate properly. At your age you should know better than starving yourself.

Reply to Lou