Question
Posted by: Jen | 2007/08/20

RE : 21 day Progesterone test

Hi doc,

I have a regular menstrual cycle ( usually 25 or 26 days). After trying to fall pregnant for over a year, my gynae suggested I take a blood test, results were 9.9 which I'm told is low and I may possibly not be ovulating. Is this possible even if I have such regular cycles? What would be the next course of action in terms of medication?? Thx.

Dear Jen

The fact that your cycle length is 25-26 days may imply that the progesterone tests are being done too late and therefore reflecting an incorrect result. The best time to do progesterone is 7 days after ovulation and in this case ovulation might be taking place on day 11 or 12 and therefore ideally a progesterone test should be done on day 19 of the cycle. As an alternative you could monitor ovulation by means of urine ovulation testing kits and not only would you be able to predict when ovulation is occurring but also confirm this 7 days later by means of a progesterone blood test.

5
Posted by: Pam1 | 2007/08/23

Hi Jen,

Have you had a scan? This was the only way the FS picked up that I hd endo.

Reply to Pam1
Posted by: Jen | 2007/08/22

Hi Dee,

Will do. Currently on CD4, I have an appointment with my gynae in Linksfield on Monday. He wants to do an x-ray to check for any blocked tubes and a sperm analysis on hubby...

Take Care
Jen

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Dee | 2007/08/21

Good. Sometimes we just need to do what we think is right, doctors dont always know what is best. Pls keep me updated, i would like to know how it goes.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Jen | 2007/08/21

Thanks Dee,

That makes sense, he wants me to repeat the test, I think this time around, I'll go on CD 18 instead of 21..

Jen

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Dee | 2007/08/20

if your cycle is 25-26 days then you must remember that you should be doing the "Day 21" test on approx Day 17/18 of your cycle due to your cycle being 3 days shorter than the norm. It might just mean that the prog has already peaked and is on its way down when you do the test.

Otherwise you can take Clomid to produce a stronger ovulation.

Reply to Dee