Question
Posted by: AYSHA | 2004/12/08

RE: 15654

I am currently taking Autrin tablets and I was on Augmentin which I have finished. THe doctor mentioned that I should go for more blood tests after the iron tablets and once that is done, if my iron stores and levels are still low he will do further tests. What tests can he do?????? Currently my iron stores are sitting at 5 and my iron level is 8. Do not know what any of this means.

Aysha, your iron level should be about 9-30 ìmol/L and the stores (ferritin)15-200ng/ml. This seems to imply that you’ve either lost iron or are not absorbing it. The best would be to find out why before you start taking iron. Good luck.