Question
Posted by: mon+ | 2006/04/07

Raw Food For Dogs

Does anyone know anything about the BARF diet for dogs, I have read about it on the internet and heard it from friends but would like to know if anyone feeds their dogs raw chicken and stuff. App its VERY good for them and their overall well-being is improved dramatically. IT makes sense as they are dogs.

I cannot say this too many times: you cannot recreate in the kitchen a balanced diet that reputable dog food companies have spent multiple billions of dollars to create. Many conditions linked to certain deficiency states of the natural diets are now prevented by additives in good quality commercial diets.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Sam1234 | 2006/10/19

We bought a house from a lady who had immigrated and left her cross breed border collie behind for us. He is about 7 years old, might be a bit older, is overweight and eats Vets Choice dog food mixed with a half can of husky chunks in gravy, every day but only once a day. He is extremely thirsty and empties out a large water bowl about 3 times a day. Otherwise he is really good and not alot of hassle and has adapted well to us as his new family (he has been with us for 3 months now). The only problem I have is that his breath smells terrible (like a sharp fishy smell).... Do you have any suggestions for this? (He did go to the vet for a thorough check up before we took ownership of him and the vet cleared him).

Reply to Sam1234
Posted by: SIMS | 2006/04/11

Rather Use Hills as its the best you could give your dog, as chill said what if you miss out something important

Reply to SIMS
Posted by: Chill | 2006/04/08

There isn't a BARF site in the world that isn't going to tell you how marvellous it is...

Maybe it is. But it's also a whole load of trouble, expense and work, and for NORMAL dogs, without specific health issues that cannot be met by commercial dogfood, I can't believe that there are worthwhile advantages. I am also of the opinion that to make a BARF diet work as it's supposed to, one needs a rather higher than average knowledge of nutriotion, and the composition of various foodstuffs. In addition, if you're (accidentally) missing out some component or other, the effects may a) be irreversible, and b) invisible, either permanently or until damage has been done.

It would be different if you perhaps have a hyperallergic dog - one that's allergic to preservatives, say - because all commercial dogfoods contain stuff like that. (And no, preservatives per se aren't evil - think of the alternative!)

We are all conditioned to believe that anything labelled 'natural' has by definition to be superior to anything else. Don't be suckered into that: hemlock is also totally natural, in fact it's even herbal, so it MUST be good! - but ask Archimedes how he felt after he drank it.

If you really want to give your dog a totally natural diet, then what you need to do is go out and kill a gnu or a zebra for it now and then... now there's natural for you!

Reply to Chill