Question
Posted by: jess | 2011/08/26

raw / cooked vegetables

Are there any vegetables that should, ideally, not be eaten raw or uncooked?

Dear Jess
Now that is an interesting question. I would not eat potatoes and sweet potatoes raw, and I believe it is safer to cook rhubarb stalks, but in general most vegetables can be eaten raw (for example, I have been served raw beetroot and raw, grated butternut and they tasted delicious). Ironically some cooked or processed versions of vegetables have a higher nutritive content. Take tomatoes for example. Tomatoes are a good source of lycopene, which protects against certain degenerative diseases, such as prostate cancer. Raw tomatoes contain less lycopene than tomato sauce or puree, which are more concentrated versions of tomatoes. In some cases, cooking with a bit of oil or margarine also makes the beta-carotene more easily absorbed by the body. I have also read that cassava (used in West Africa) should not be eaten raw.
I hope this helps

3
Posted by: Nelly | 2011/10/12

WHich ones can not be eaten raw???

Reply to Nelly
Posted by: Lloyd M | 2011/09/22

You can eat potatoes and sweet potatoes raw. If you have ulcers (like I do) and need to always have something in your tummy, try eating one clean peeled potato in the morning after brushing your teeth. It contains a lot of starch.

Reply to Lloyd M

Dear Jess
I hope this helps