Question
Posted by: Royster | 2007/05/31

Rate of fitness loss

with 3 wks to comrades I've picked up an injury - cannot run at all presently. When and by how much do you start to loose your fitness? (trained for sub 7 hour comrades)

cheers,

Hi Royster

Apologies for the long delay in replying. I have had a crazy week away from the normal work routine.

I hope that by the time you read this, your injury has improved a lot and you can at least walk or run a little. Obviously, first thing to do is to see a doctor - you haven't trained for months to lose it in 3 weeks with an injury, so it's really important you do everything possible to get to that start line in the best shape possible. And the simple compromise on this one is that you are either injured and super fit or slightly unfit but not injured. I know I'd rather be uninjured, you have more chance of achieving the goal if you are at least injury free than if you are hurting after 5 km.

The good news is that the last 3 weeks would have been a taper anyway, and so you are not losing much in the way of training by resting. In fact, now is probably the best time to rest, if you can recover from the injury. So don't worry so much about fitness loss, your rest will ensure that you are recovered and feeling ready to roll by the race morning, and that almost makes up for the loss of training time, which, as I've said is not the end of the world. So my advice is to avoid training as long as you are injured, and rather spend your energies and frustrations getting over the injury.