Question
Posted by: opal | 2004/10/31

Rat questions...

Hi all...
I have recently bought two baby rats (both male) from a pet shop,but I have noticed that a few weeks later they both developed transparent bumps on their ears and tails - the one rat is grey and white,the other black and white.
What I would like to know is are these bumps a skin condition,or is it due to fights etc etc...?
Also....although the rats are brothers from the same litter,is it advisable to keep them together as they get older or not?
Thank you....

Two males together should not be a problem if they are raised together, as long as there are no females around to get them all worked up. In the unlikely event that fighting does occur, neutering the submissive male should sort out the problem. The transparent bumps are most likely due to a viral infection, and should pass by themselves. However, it the rats seem itchy, a mite infestation is possible, and you should have it treated at your vet (usually 3 injections at 10 day intervals).

Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian

1
Posted by: Davina | 2004/11/02

Hi Opal,

I have rencently rescued two boys from a petshop too.

My research has told me that boys together are fine (especially from the same litter), if a female is not included.

Please do a search on google for your lump problem, there is a wealth of info.

Much love
Davina

Reply to Davina