Question

Rat poo

I am renting a cottage and every day I find rat poo on top of the cupboards.I have lined the cupboard with newspaper and remove them once a month or when I remember.Should I be concerned about bacteria levels or something?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

There are diseases you can get from rat faeces (and urine), although if you practice good personal hygiene and housekeeping, your risks for these should be low.

Lining the cupboard with newspaper that you replace regularly is a good idea; I'd also recommend swabbing down surfaces with hot water when you clean them. Make your living environment unappealing to rats: never leave food out, and keep it in sturdy containers that they can't chew through; fix dripping taps so that they don't have a water source; tidy away clutter and get cracks and crevices filled so they don't have places to hide and nest.