Question
Posted by: Lee | 2006/07/20

Rash on scalp after braiding hair

Please advise,

I braided my hair for the first time over the weekend. I have developed a fine itchy rash at the back of my head, towards the neck. Please advise. Is there something that I can use for it? COuld it just be a reaction to the synthetic hair piece & it will fade?

My friends, who generally braid their hair, say this happens very often. I like the braids & don't want to remove them, unless extremely necessary. Can I use something on the rash?

Dear Lee
You may be sensitive to the glue they use to attach the braids to your hair. Try using stopitch but if it really gets worse you'll have to ask your GP to have a look.

1
Posted by: Been there | 2006/07/20

I had a similar experience with braids and 2 months ago with hair extensions. I had this painful reaction on my scalp that never healed! Paid R6 500 for extensions (little less for braids). Hair salon said that they have never seen anyone with such an inflamed scalp before even when the hair was 100% natural. Had to take the hair out only 5 weeks after!
Just be careful, my scalp only now getting better – it seems as if some of us just can’t wear braids or extensions.

Reply to Been there