Question
Posted by: Monique | 2003/03/11

Rash in the underarm, Breastbone area

I have developed a rash that begins under my arms and moves under my breasts and up my breastbone. It appears to be very small red bumps and is extremely painful. I find that if I am wearing a bra it is more painful, the minute I take my bra off, it seems to relieve a little but not much. Could you please tell me what causes this and what I can use for pain relief. I have been putting baby powder, calamain lotion and all this sort of thing and I am now at the point of desperation. Please advise.

Monique, it’s difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you, but it sounds like it might be a superficial fungal infection called tinea cruris. You can get an anti-fungal cream like Lamisil® from the pharmacy and apply it for a week and see what happens. You can also take an anti-inflammatory/pain killer combination like Myprodol®, Mypaid® or Mybulen® to help with the inflammation and pain. If it doesn’t go away or if it gets worse, you will have to see your doctor. Good luck.