Question
Posted by: Shaun | 2005/12/01

Random blushing

Hi Doc,

I am a 26 year old male. I have a problem with facial blushing that can be triggered by a multitude of things. I am not a shy person, in fact I'm quite the opposite and yet my face turns red (sometimes very very red!) at seemingly random occasions. When this is in public, it's extremely embarrassing and it has had a disastrous effect on my social life, even though I'm an outgoing person. I'm so sick of doctors telling me that "it's something I have to live with."
or, my favourite: "just try and calm down." I read about a procedure used in the States called Micro ETS surgery that has had brilliant results in stopping facial blushing. Do you know of anyone in S.A that can perform this surgery? I am desperate. I feel like cutting my face off sometimes. Please help.

Dear Shaun,
I am not sure if anyone in SA does this, however, I'll try and find out for you - my guess is that it will either be neurosurgeons or plastic surgeons doing the procedure. You could maybe also phone your nearest private hospital and see if you can get hold of a neurosurgeon for their opinion. Please post me a reminder in a few day's time so that I can give you more feedback if possible?

1
Posted by: Rosy | 2005/12/02

WoW Shaun, unfortunately I cant help but just wanted to tell you that I have the exact same problem. Mine is a little weirder though because when I blush it will not only be my face but my chest too..and only the part that is exposed. It has had the same effect on my social and work life as you described. Luckily it seems as though I have grown out of it slightly so hopefully it will continue to be less and less frequent. (Im 30 now)

I know this surgery will be pretty darn expensive and not covered by medical aid so unfortunately not an option for me.

Best wishes and good luck

Reply to Rosy